Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day (and other business)

Happy Blog Action Day!

While I am sometimes discouraged by the relentless consumerism I am inundated by daily, or the laughable greenwashing that has become so trendy amongst lazier businesses, I am always excited by the
real efforts of organizations and companies who are eager to be part of bigger change.

Lately, for every smog-inducing, energy-consuming, waste-creating act that comes into my field of view, I notice another conscious, conserving, reducing, peace-keeping, creative solution that lifts my spirits and reminds me that I am
not alone in my beliefs or in my efforts.

For instance, I loved the movie Evan Almighty, the trailers that preceded it, and the dancing credits. (Is there anything better than dancing animals??? Oh wait, maybe hot apple cider or chocolate...) So I was even more excited when I learned that the movie's makers went to great lengths to make green contributions in reality. (The movie trailers hinted at this, but I couldn't tell if they were serious or pulling my leg...)

Therefore, you can imagine my enjoyment that this year's
Blog Action Day theme is the environment. It's on everyone's minds now - and it's about time! The world is listening - global impact, climate change, and ethical life choices have made it into the headlines of our daily news stories. Now it's time for some action!

Here are a few suggestions to get you started, and then check out other blogs participating in Blog Action Day:

* Turn off the water while you shower, bathe, brush your teeth, wash your face. Turn it back on to rinse.
***Even greener: Turn down the temperature of your water heater. Use a gallon (or less) of pre-measured water per day for cooking, cleaning, bathing, etc.

* Turn off lights and any appliances (including unplugging them) when not in use.
***Even greener: Leave the lights off - use soy or beeswax candles as needed. Reduce the number of appliances you use. Get an energy reader and/or audit to help you figure out where to reduce energy output. (BONUS: Money-saving tip!)

* Try out a vegetarian meal, even if only once a week (see Vegetarian Wednesday). Check out Vegetarian Times magazine or purchase a vegetarian cookbook. When not eating vegetarian, use it as a base to insure that you're getting your daily recommended allowance of fruits and veggies, then add in meat, fish, or poultry if you wish.
***Even greener: Go vegetarian, or even vegan, after discussing it with your family and your doctor.

* Find one aspect of your life where you could make a healthier choice for yourself and the environment - and then change it! (Could you give up your weekly salon appointment? Cancel your subscription to the newspaper or magazine that you never read? Reuse a cloth bag at the grocery store instead of using a ton of plastic bags?)
***Even greener: Participate in an eco-challenge! Making big changes is always easier when you have the support and great advice of others in the same situation. (Crunchy Chicken, No Impact Man, Fake Plastic Fish, and Green as a Thistle all have great examples of challenges.)

No comments: